Friday, April 23, 2010

Joy


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (New International Version)



 16Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

The past two days I have been incredibly joyful, despite my husband being away on a three-week business trip.  I don't know why that is - perhaps because I took time on my other blog to write about my joy in the present moment.  I think I'm also so thoroughly enjoying having a garden for the first time in my life.

I just know that we're meant to get a respite.  No matter what difficulties we face, we're meant at some point to feel simple joy and gratitude at being alive.


Ecclesiastes 5:18 (New International Version)



 18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him—for this is his lot.

Sometimes I want to be someone else.  I want to be famous or rich and have an easy life.  (Although at age 40, I'm starting to figure out it's not the life God planned out for me).  And then at other times, I desire to be skilled at just living the simple pleasures, just finding satisfaction in my labor under the sun for the few days God has given me.

There's something beautiful in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment